Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tip Number 3: Low Impact Exercises for People with Injuries

Sometimes, treadmills and jogging down the street just don't work for some people due to the high impact. I am one of these people, at least temporarily.

See, back in October, I got hit by a car. I wasn't seriously injured, but the ligaments in my foot were crushed, and I scared my friend and my boyfriend quite a bit. XD I went to the hospital right away, and they said it was just bruised, and I'd be fine in a week. They had to give me crutches so I could get out (you'd think the fact that I tried to put weight on my foot and almost collapsed on the floor would be a tip-off that I was NOT okay, but whatever), and I was off them by the end of the weekend (this happened on Friday, October 8th).

Two weeks later, my foot still hurt, so my mom took me to a Walk-In clinic. They told me there that the ligaments were crushed, and gave me a cast and a new pair of crutches (I had returned the other ones), and sent me on my way. When I got the cast off, I was told that I was to restrict myself to low-impact sports only.

Which brings me to write this tip.

Some low impact exercises that can be done by people with injuries or other health problems that can affect your mobility are:
-biking
-swimming
-weights
-elliptical-ing (I know, it's not a word, but you know what I mean)
-(speed)walking
-stairs
-hiking
-step aerobics

See? Jogging down the street isn't the only way to get your heart rate up! There are plenty of other ways, and most of them can be fun. For example, have an iPod while you run on the elliptical or up and down the stairs, or take a friend hiking. Just make sure that you don't spend too much time talking and not enough time walking!

Until next time,
-Kristin ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment